Today most aspiring architects, interior designers, modelers, and builders are confused about how to choose the right three-dimensional software to attain the required and expected results. Among these applications, the most common ones are AutoCAD and Revit. While they both have many features in common since they have various tools to create and model both interior and exterior parts of a building, there are many differences that indicate each of them to have their various functionalities and diversities that make the design process easier, faster, and convenient. Some of these differences are;
- AutoCAD is considered best for 2D drawing i.e. where only precise line work is needed, such as architectural plans, elevations, detailed drawings, etc while Revit is considered best for modeling, generating cost schedules, collaboration, and change management.
- AutoCAD as a drafting software, lets you draw precise lines within a virtual space. These lines are meant to represent real things (chairs, tables, and sofas) while Revit utilizes Building Information Modeling (BIM), taking precise models of real things (like chairs, tables, sofas) and placing them around a virtual space. You can view it in two dimensions, but the lines on the paper inherently contain loads of information about the thing they represent. You can make it 3D or 2D with a simple click of the mouse.
- The use of AutoCAD is found among wide industrial areas like Architecture, Building related MEP and Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Aeronautics, Electrical Design, Mapping, Industrial design, etc while Revit software is mainly designed for structural engineers, architects, designers, MEP(Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing) Engineers.
- AutoCAD drawings are not interconnected, plans, elevations, or sections are created separately on AutoCAD and also modified separately which affects the speed and timing of the user, while changes made in Revit can have an effect on other systems which automatically changes to accept the new information, therefore when working on a plan, the elevation and section create automatically with accuracy while any modification made on the plan will automatically affect the elevation and section of the drawing.
Choosing software for building modeling depends on individual choices as Mr. A might be flexible using Revit for his design and vice versa. Though it is advisable to have a better understanding of how to use at least two 3D applications to ensure more flexibility. Autocad is very cool for two-dimensional geometric designs like a plan, elevation, section, and others whereas on the other hand Revit is one of the best three-dimensional software for designing house interior and exterior. Knowing both of them lets you easily switch from a 2D AutoCAD plan design to a 3D Revit model. So think of what software works for you most and go install it now. Click here to learn more...
- COMBINING OF COLOURS
Human eyes could see 7 million colors. These show the relevance of color combinations for a graphic designer. You should know about colors, their meanings in cultures, and the impact they could have on the brand. A good graphic designer should know how to combine colors to attract viewers. You sure have the freedom to experiment with colors and see your results.
Colors bring emotion; you wouldn't want to combine irritable colors, it's always best to keep it simple but unique. So get working!
- EXTRACTING IMAGE FROM A BACKGROUND
In creating a presentation or using a certain image, you might decide either you want to use the background or want to extract the image from the background. A graphic designer should know how to go about extracting the image without making viewers zoom in to see the error.
You should also make research on simple and easy tools to use, e.g. magic wand tool in Photoshop is a good one for removing plane backgrounds, etc.
- USING MULTI-APPLICATION
As a graphic designer, you should be able to use multiple applications for graphic designers. This includes understanding the interfaces and tools to use in specific situations, from designing, to producing images, texts, etc, to meet up with set deadlines.
You should also be able to fix little problems within these software’s and seek help via forums, search engines, or ask a skilled artist. Do not forget to take your heels to YouTube!
- USING ARTISTIC TEXTS
Artistic texts can enhance the visual impact of a website. It helps keep your website professional and could stimulate the viewer's interest. A neat, professional, readable artistic text makes you unique.
You should not limit yourself to the fonts available on the software. There are tons of websites where you can download aesthetic fonts, you should check them out. (dafonts.com, 1001fonts.com, fontspace.com)
- GENERATING A CUSTOM BACKGROUND
As a graphic designer, you should be able to customize your background image, this will give you originality and a feeling within yourself that you did it YOURSELF!
- USE OF PEN TOOLS OR SHAPE TOOL
Pen tools and Shape tools can enhance your creativity. It can be used to create numerous shapes and curves with extreme flexibility. Once you have the imagination and how to go about it, you get very sweet results. Remember, practice is very cogent. You can't escape it!
- SAVING DIFFERENT FORMATS
You should be able to save your different designs and texts in a more understandable
Format. Always separate different versions of your designs into different files and formats.
You should know the meaning and purposes of digital image files such as PNG, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, and Raw image files. This will make your work smoother
THREE-POINT LIGHTING, WHAT EVERY FILMMAKER, PHOTOGRAPHER, AND 3D ARTISTE NEED TO KNOW.
Three-point lighting (also known as the lighting triangle setup) is a standard method used in visual media such as theatre, video, film, still photography, and computer-generated imagery. By using three separate positions, the photographer can illuminate the shot's subject (such as a person) however desired, while also controlling (or eliminating entirely) the shading and shadows produced by direct lighting. Now that you have your lights it's handy to know how to use them. Turning them on and pointing them at your subject is a good start, but if you really want to get the most out of them you can use what's known as "the lighting triangle.
The key light, as the name suggests, shines directly upon the subject and serves as its principal illuminator; more than anything else, the strength, color, and angle of the key determines the shot's overall lighting design.
In indoor shots, the key is commonly a specialized lamp or a camera's flash. In outdoor daytime shots, the Sun often serves as the key light. In this case, of course, the photographer cannot set the light in the exact position he or she wants, so instead arranges the shot to best capture the sunlight, perhaps after waiting for the sun to position itself just right.
A portrait with the key lighting: a 300-watt key light
The fill light also shines on the subject, but from a side angle relative to the key and is often placed at a lower position than the key (about at the level of the subject's face). It balances the key by illuminating shaded surfaces and lessening or eliminating chiaroscuro effects, such as the shadow cast by a person's nose upon the rest of the face. It is usually softer and less bright than the key light (up to half), and more to a flood. Not using a fill at all can result in stark contrasts (due to shadows) across the subject's surface, depending upon the key light's harshness. Sometimes, as in low-key lighting, this is a deliberate effect, but shots intended to look more natural and less stylistic require a fill.
In some situations, a photographer can use a reflector (such as a piece of white cardstock mounted off-camera, or even a white-painted wall) as a fill light instead of an actual lamp. Reflecting and redirecting the key light's rays back upon the subject from a different angle can cause a softer, subtler effect than using another lamp.
A portrait with the fill lighting: A 150-watt fill light.
The backlight (a.k.a. the rim, hair, or shoulder light) shines on the subject from behind, often (but not necessarily) to one side or the other. It gives the subject a rim of light, serving to separate the subject from the background and highlighting contours.
Backlight or rim light is different from a kick in that a kick (or kicker) contributes to a portion of the shading on the visible surface of the subject, while a rim light only creates a thin outline around the subject without necessarily hitting the front (visible) surface of the subject at all.
A portrait with the backlighting: A 300-watt backlight
The addition of a fourth light, the background light, makes for a four-point lighting setup.
The background light is placed behind the subject(s), on a high grid, or low to the ground. Unlike the other three lights, which illuminate foreground elements like actors and props, it illuminates background elements, such as walls or outdoor scenery. This technique can be used to eliminate shadows cast by foreground elements onto the background or to draw more attention to the background. It also helps to off-set the single eye nature of the camera; this means that it helps the camera give depth to the subject.
Arrows pointing at the background lights.
A computer is a multipurpose gadget that is used to store data as an input device, process it, and bring out information as an output device. The computer has made everything so easy that there is no substance on earth that exists that does not use computers to perform its duty. In our daily lives and current world, it is almost impossible to imagine that someone can live without a computer. They are the electronic device of everyday use for individuals of every age and essential in all business dealing that is made nowadays. The most vital part of it is that many industries are developing every day since the discoveries of computers. They have become more effective as they improve the efficiency and production of products thereby making work easier, faster, and conveniently. A large amount of information in industry and business sectors as well as in the personal lives are stored in the computer. The following are the significance of the computer;
- In business, computer assists staff to work fluently and diligently during the course of operation thereby making them efficient and productive. This saves their valuable time by getting the job done immediately. It also helps businesses to be precise in collating financial data and reports.
- The computer is also a vital gadget used in several sectors such as railways, banking, electricity, telecommunication, shopping, electronic e.t.c which is innovating the world drastically as inventors use this gadget to implement new ideas thereby solving today’s scientific and technological challenges.
- In the educational sector, the computer makes the learning process better and faster than teachers and students could easily download and upload information for research once they are connected to the internet. They can also type, create, design, and customize their work for both personal and school projects. This is achieved by installing the appropriate software to perform specific tasks. The audio and video features of a computer are reducing the learning challenge today as a result of its audibility and visibility.
- In medicine, Computer helps doctors and other medical experts to diagnose diseases quickly and efficiently. In recent years, it has been one of the most important devices that are used to read and preview the internal part of the human body. e.g rating the heartbeat by using the heart rate monitor, viewing of bones via X-ray e.t.c
- The use of computers in the entertainment industry should not be underestimated as music producers, film directors, studio owners, celebrities, musicians, and others are growing fast and becoming popular within the twinkle of an eye. This is because of the availability of social media tools to advertise their services using computers and phone gadgets. They are also significant during the production of music and movies for perfecting audio and video content for the listening ears and human views.
In general, the computer has been developing the entire universe for years thereby ensuring the efficacy of business and domestic activities. Its significance has made the world a better place for all and sundry that people can easily connect and communicate with each other without leaving their home and offices. It is therefore advisable to join the moving train by acquiring at least a basic computer skill at your convenient time so you will not be left out from the latest technological trends.
The illustration all started from a vector silhouette lady sitting by the window with an ellipse in front representing a moon
So I felt like this should look better and more interesting than it is. So I went on tweaking the hair part of the body into a ponytail hairstyle and also adding to the illustration a building and a glow around the moon which bounces back on the lady leaving highlights on her so the scene looks more active.
At this stage, the scene started looking appealing to the eyes and getting closer to even more than what I intend to achieve. So I pressed further by adding a hat to the illustration depicting the lady's high sense of fashion.
At this moment my love for the ponytail hair style was no more so I felt i change it to short hair. I went on changing the colour of the hat to black for uniformity in the illustration, so I thought about what could be added to spice it up.
The illustration in other to keep it looking more active and also the more story about the lady. So I asked myself what if I add a lamp. Which is pretty much a good idea, I went ahead, did that, and added a beam of light on top of the lamp in other to bring it to life.
But wait a minute why should the building just look like lines connecting to each other to form a shape? Come on, let breathe some life into this, lighting it up would be better and tell more about the illustration. So the first building got lit up seeming like the PHNC just brought the light. Lolz
As the night got darker all buildings downtown got lit up even the light from the moon struck of the back of the building leaving highlights at the side, the lady had to intensify the light from the lamp for better illumination, and for the airplane, it is probably flying to the united kingdom.
As the lamp got intensified its left highlights round the edges of the lamp and some part of the window frame plus the light from the moon that also reflected the window frame. At this point, it seems the illustration is come to an end, or are we missing yes the stars so let’s add that to our illustration.
So now that the scene looks so interesting and tells a story what should we title the illustration? Behind the Bars is obviously our best pick. And finally, the illustration is complete HURRAY!!!
To learn more about graphic design and Illustration click here: LEARN GRAPHICS DESIGN